Friday, October 31, 2008

Explore Twitter

Topic: "Visit Twitter and sign up... tweet..."

My twitter username: Jim_Corva.

I tweeted twice; first on a professional topic, then on a personal one.

I visited the CML Learn and Play account and and added it to my "following" list. Its "followers" list led me to several colleagues' accounts, which I signed up to follow. One account has locked access to its following list, but another added me automatically.

The search function for adding new followers returned this message: "This feature is temporarily disabled." This prevented me from finding other conversations, but I will revisit this tool later.

I viewed the names of followers of learnandplay, and found colleagues I recognized. I invited via e-mail 3 colleagues to follow me.

I recognize some of micro-blogging's uses. Libraries can use it to announce and promote new library resources, facilities, policies, procedures, and events. Libraries' web sites and blogs serve a similar function, except that by design tweets often serve a more immediate and hence temporary function.

I like twitter moderately well. Regarding outgoing messages, the malfunctioning search function made finding users to follow very problematic. Regarding incoming messages, I can use timely messages in proportion to the amount of time I have Internet access to my own twitter account. Without a user-dedicated staff PC, this runs a few hours per week. I'm sure I will find it helpful in many ways, both professionally and personally.

No comments: