Monday, November 10, 2008

Tagging... & social bookmarking in delicious

Topic: "Can you see the potential of [tagging, folksonomies and social bookmarking in delicious] for research assistance? Or just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?"

I surfed around the delicious web site.

I created my own delicious account: http://delicious.com/Jim_Corva

I found the delicious accounts for two CML colleagues, and added one to my network.

I added several bookmarks to my delicious account, tagging all of them with the suggested tags and some other tags.

I can see the potential of this tool for networking or research. After bookmarking one of my sites on philately, I looked at the bookmarks of other people who bookmarked the same site I did with the same "philately" tag. I recognized some of the bookmarks. I can see that having this list could be useful, in particular because is is a dynamic list that grows as other bookmarkers find and mark other sites.

I don't know yet whether delicious can indicate the origin (delicious username) of imported bookmarks. It doesn't appear to, though I would find this useful.

No comments: