Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Playing around with wikis

Topic: "Add an entry or two to the Learn & Play @CML wiki."

After viewing the discovery resources, I created an PBWiki account for myself to access the Learn & Play wiki.

I logged in. I added a link to my blog in the Favorite Blogs page. I also contributed to the Favorite Vacation Spots, Favorite Leisure Time Activity, Favorite Books, and Favorite Album pages.

From the Favorite Vacation Spots, I created a new page, "Beach." On that page, I wrote some text and attached a link to a Flickr video of a nice beach similar to one I visited a decade ago.

Interesting point: whereas the default view of a wiki page allows contributions (edits) to appear anonymous, the "page history" allows the user to identify the changes of each contributor. One need not log in to the wiki to track the page history.

I found the on-screen instructions for adding a new page or linking to an existing page confusing, but I eventually figured enough out to do what I wanted.

I envision testing the usefulness of wikis when I next work on a newsletter for a community organization to which I belong.

No comments: